Anna Yum is a nationally recognized and premier criminal defense attorney in San Diego. Ms. Yum is licensed to practice law in state and federal courts in both the Southern and Central Districts of California. She is also licensed to practice law in the state of Illinois.
Ms. Yum has successfully represented clients on various criminal charges ranging from serious and/or violent offenses such as sexual assault, domestic violence with great bodily injury enhancements, child molestation, murder, attempted murder, “criminal street gang” cases, robbery, felony offenses with firearm enhancements, etc. to lower-level offenses including driving under the influence, theft-related offenses, narcotics cases, commercial burglary, insurance fraud, assault and battery, and much more. During the course of her career, Ms. Yum has successfully tried a multitude of jury and bench trials to verdict.
Many of her high-profile cases have been recognized and highlighted by the media. Ms. Yum is called upon and trusted by Fox News, HLN/CNN, Discover ID, Court TV, Law & Crime, and many more to provide legal commentary for the top headline cases. Due to her years of experience, she has also been called to serve as a guest lecturer in providing continuing legal education (MCLE) to other attorneys with respect to domestic violence.
Prior to opening her law practice, Ms. Yum gained invaluable experience as a prosecutor at the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office. During her tenure at the District Attorney’s office, Ms. Yum was promoted very quickly and she conducted dozens of jury trials. She prosecuted a wide variety of complex criminal matters including Domestic Violence, General Felonies, Grand Theft Auto, Career Criminal, Criminal Street Gangs, and Sexual Assault/Child Abuse. Ms. Yum’s hard work and talent did not go unnoticed as she garnered several accolades including a nomination for Misdemeanor Deputy District Attorney of the Year and Employee of the Month on several occasions.
Ms. Yum actively participates in the San Diego legal community, and serves as a member of many professional bar associations. In addition, Ms. Yum enjoys engaging in public speaking events such as providing guest lectures to pre-law undergraduate students at the University of California, San Diego and San Diego State University.
- Northwestern University, ranked 9th in the country, with a Bachelor of Science in Communications Studies and International Studies
- University of San Diego School of Law, Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- While at law school, Ms. Yum was inducted into the prestigious Order of Barristers, a national organization which recognizes the best oral advocates in her graduating class.
- Also, Ms. Yum obtained a prestigious judicial externship with Senior Federal Court Judge Robert M. Takasugi in the Central District of California.
Awards and Accolades
- Super Lawyers
- US News & World Report- Best Lawyers
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer
- The Nation’s Top 1%– National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Avvo.com Client’s Choice Award
- Avvo.com rating of 10.0 out of 10.0 as a Top Attorney practicing Criminal Defense based upon client reviews and peer endorsements
- American Law Media (ALM) 2021 Women Leaders in Law– as published in The National Law Journal and The American Lawyer
- San Diego Metro Magazine Top DUI Attorneys in San Diego- 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Diego Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Club. This is a highly selective and exclusive organization comprised of only the top criminal defense attorneys in San Diego. The CDLC is extended to members by invitation only and the selection process is based upon fellow peer endorsements in the San Diego legal community.
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Criminal Defense Bar Association of San Diego
- San Diego Korean American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- Illinois State Bar Association